Whether you’ve been on a hair growth journey for a while now or you are just starting up – you might have already heard about castor oil benefits hair. You might even have a bottle stashed in your bathroom cupboard. Well done to you! 

However, there are a number of debates on the topic. ‘Is castor oil good for hair growth’. And, even if it is– few really know why. Let’s look at this age-old natural laxative and labor induction (!) remedy as an aid for hair growth.

Since all our claims and articles have been backed by science, this article is no exception. We had to do some heavy reading. Natural remedies for hair growth are not as well studied as they should be – which is unfortunate, since a good hair day significantly improves your mood. Fact in an attested fact by a study by Yale University.

What is castor oil?

Castor oil is a vegetable oil from the beans of a castor plant (Latin: ricinus communis). It is approximately 90% fatty acid – namely ricinoleic acid. The remaining 10% is made up of 6-8% elates linoleate and other minor components. Various industries use castor oil derivatives: manufacturing of soaps, lubricants, hydraulic and brake fluids, paints, dyes, inks, waxes, nylon, pharmaceuticals, and perfumes.

In this article, we will concentrate on that 90% component: ricinoleic acid, which makes castor oil a wonder-inducer of things…

Castor Oil For Hair Growth: Magic of Ricinoleic acid

Buckle up for some science talk!

Ricinoleic acid works by activating a receptor for prostaglandin E2. Prostaglandin E2 is an active lipid compound that exists in almost every tissue of the human body. Ricinoleic acid binds and activates this receptor which results, amongst other things, in the dilation of blood vessels. As a medication, according to The Journal of Clinical Investigation, stimulation of prostaglandin E2 receptor induces labor and relieves constipation, since there is a higher concentration of that receptor in the uterine and intestinal lining.

The 90% ricinoleic acid composition of castor oil activates the dilation of blood vessels, thus improving blood flow, including that to your scalp in topical applications. Caster oil for blood flow means more oxygen and nutrients to your dermal papilla, or in other words, the root of your hair. In turn, this leads to healthier hair and faster hair growth. The latter is one of the primary reasons why castor oil for hair loss features as one of the main active ingredients of The Hair Fuel, the signature hair growth mask.

To understand the inner workings of hair growth, we need to understand the role of the dermal papilla, and why it is important to keep good blood flow to it in enabling faster hair growth.

How to use Castor oil on hair

To use castor oil for hair growth, start by warming up a small amount of castor oil. It is often sufficient to use 1-2 tbsp of this oil for the entire scalp. Because of the viscosity of castor oil, you may find it easier to apply and spread it onto your scalp, if you mix it in a 50/50 ratio with another carrier oil, such as olive oil.

To learn how to apply castor oil to hair, gently massage the warm oil into your scalp using circular motions for about 5-10 minutes. Leave it on for a few hours or overnight, then rinse it out thoroughly. Repeat this process 1-2 times per week for best results.

Jamaican Black Castor oil

Last but not least, we couldn’t leave out the hype of Jamaican Black Castor oil for hair growth – so we looked into that too, comparing Jamaican Black Castor oil for hair growth vs. regular castor oil. Surprisingly the components of both oils do not differ. It is the way beans are processed that makes a real difference. As we looked closer we found out what this really means… read more >

Who we are:

The Hair Fuel is an all-natural hair growth mask created by Laura Sagen, who lost a third of her hair after a terrible visit to a hairdresser while suffering from a life-long condition of PCOS associated with androgenic hair thinning. She developed the formulation rooted in the science of scalp blood flow, which has become The Hair Fuel growth mask. Since then, her company has helped thousands of people like you to start growing healthy hair.

We work closely with our lab and manufacturers to ensure the highest quality product. But a product alone is never enough – so we hold your hand throughout your own, unique hair growth journey. Our flagship product, The Hair Fuel mask coupled with tailored advice, digital tools, and online support is there to help you grow the best hair you can. It’s a big claim – but we’re unafraid to make it. Check out our starter bundles >>





Leave a Comment